The beautiful square has became the symbol of Batumi. It is built around 5700 sq/m area and is distinguished by wonderful samples of decoration, mosaic and stained-glass art. the Piazza complex includes a hotel, a couple of restaurants, a café and a pub. Live music is performed here daily.
The constuction of Piazza Square was completed in 2000. The chief architect of the square is Vazha Orbeladze and stained-glass windows – Estonian artist Dolores Hoffman.
Piazza Square has gained the function of cultural and entertaining events in Batumi. The place is visited by every tourist arriving in Batumi.
The square hosted the concerts of such world famous singers and musicians as Placido Domingo, Chris Botti, Sting, Macy Gray, Michael Legrand, Joachim Cortes and many others.
The fountains are located near the House of Justice and are one of the main attractions of the New Boulevard.
The French Fountains were installed on Ardagani Lake in 2009. The daily show usually starts after sunset – Every evening (20:30 – 00:30) the fountain turns into a theatrical curtain reflecting a beautiful laser show.
The fountains ‘dance’ to the musical soundtrack of modern pop, rock and classical music. There is a laser show, telling the history of Batumi and Georgia. One can take a seat either on the sea side of the Lake or on the special places set out along the opposite lake shore.
EUROPE SQUARE AND MEDEA SCULPTURE
The square is located in the center of old Batumi and regularly hosts numerous concerts and festivals. It is a center of new Year events also.
In 2007, the statue of Medea from Greek mythology erected in the square to remind us about the ancient connections of the Georgians with the European world and proximity of Georgian culture to the ancient civilizations.
More then thirty centuries ago a mythological Greek hero Jason with fifty soldiers sailed off on the boat “Argo” to obtain the Golden Fleece. Here Jason found the Golden Fleece and at the same time felt in love with king of Colchi’s daughter – beautiful Medea, who helped Argonauts to steal the legendary Golden Fleece.
ALI AND NINO
The statue of eternal love and understanding between nations has became one of the most beautiful symbol of Batumi. Eight meter-high moving statue of a man and a woman is a work of a Georgian artist and sculptor Tamar Kvesitadze. The figures move toward each other and merge into one piece every 10 minutes.
The sculpture bears the name of a famous novel by Kurban Said “Ali and Nino”. The novel tells the loves story of Ali – the male descendant of a royal Muslim family, and Nino – a beautiful Christian Georgian princess. This young couple went through many difficulties, including religious, cultural and ethnical differences.
The sculpture was created in 2010 and at once became the symbol of love as well as Europe and Asia crossroads.
It was named among the ten most romantic monuments in the world.
Georgian script is unique with its past and present. Among 14 alphabets, existing in the world – one is Georgian. Georgian alphabet consists of 33 letters. Many scientists believe that Georgian alphabet was derived from one of the Semitic alphabets around 6th – 5th century BC. The alphabet has been modernized during centuries, but keeps the original roots. One Georgian historical sources inform us that Georgian script was created in the 3rd c. BC by Georgian King Parnavaz. The mosaic inscription in the Judean desert in Palestine is known as the oldest Georgian inscription ever found.
Georgian people tend to express their love towards beautiful symbol of identity in various works of art. In 2012 a modern architectural construction was dedicated to Georgian alphabet was erected in “Miracle park” – in the center of Batumi. It is a 130-meter-high iron construction. Alphabetic Tower combines the structural design of DNA, in its familiar double helix pattern.
The movement within the tower is available by the elevator only which is a panoramic glass construction.
At the top of the alphabet Tower there is a rotating restaurant. observatory and TV studio. The author of the project is a Spanish architect Alberto Domingo Cabo.
Establiched in 2010 in front of the Batumi State Drama Theater. It is a copy of the Fountain of Neptune in the Piazza del Nettuno in the town of Bologna in Italy.
The original sculpture was completed by the Flemish sculptor Giambologna in 1567. The statue of Neptune is surrounded by a fountain and 4 mermaid figures.
Around the fountain is a little square and benchs for rest. Nice place to take pictures.
CHACHA (VODKA) TOWER
The 25-meter fountain tower with a clock is located near the Batumi Sea Port on Gogebashvili street. In high season, once a day, for 10 minutes chacha is pouring and one can taste the free chacha (strong grape vodka).
Exact time when chacha is served – not defined. If you are lucky – the Chacha Tower goes illuminated, rotating through rainbow colours and chacha is pouring. Enjoy!
HOLY MOTHER VIRGIN’S CATHEDRAL
At the end of 19th century, European Catholics and their consulates requested a place to build a church in Batumi.
Their request was answered and The Virgin Nativity Church was built. The temple was built on the donation of the believers themselves but one of the main investors was the rich petroleum producer Stefan Zubalashvili. Thanks to his efforts the construction of the temple was completed in 1902 and in 1903 it was consecrated.
The most magnificent church of Batumi boasts tall twin towers and colorful stained glass windows. It is designed in Gothic Revival style.
The exterior part was decorated with Gothic ornaments. There are statues of Saint Nino and Saint Andrew just above the main entrance. A unique characteristic of the temple is its large stained glass windows which can compete in beauty with the best example of French Gothic architecture.
After the revolution when Georgia became a part of the Soviet Union, the temple was confiscated by the government and used for various administrative and economic needs. The Georgian community and believers were fighting for a long time to have the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary back. Later the building was handed over to the Georgian Orthodox Church. Today the Virgin Nativity Cathedral is the main cathedral of the Batumi and Lazeti Dioceses.
The Mosque was built late 19th century. The Mosque got its name due to its position between two other Muslim temples (‘orta’ is middle in Turkish). It was commissioned by the family of Aslan Beg (the equivalent of duke) Khimshiashvili, a Muslim Georgian nobleman. The walls of the mosque were painted by the Laz brothers.
During the Soviet period it was closed. Mosque resumed its spiritual and cultural services in 1990s. Located in old Batumi, on Kutaisi street.
In 1899 the Jews of Batumi received permission from the Russian Emperor to construct a synagogue in the city.
Designed by Leo Volkovich the Synagogue was designed and built in 1904. In 1929 the Soviets mandated that the synagogue cease functioning along with the other religious sites.
In Georgian government transfer ownership of the Batumi synagogue to the Jewish community. The building was restored to its original function and refurbished the same year. In 2011, it was granted cultural heritage status.
It is located at 33, Vaja Pshavela street.
ARMENIAN APOSTOLIC CHURCH
It was build in 1873. In 1885 the original wooden church was destroyed and a new church was built by local donations under the supervision of the Austrian architect Manfred.
The church ceased existence during the Soviets. The planetarium opened In the building and that saved it from destruction.
In 1992, by the request of Armenian diaspora in Batumi, the church regained its previous functions. The planetarium was moved to Batumi State University and the liturgical services were resumed.
Church is located in the city center: 25, K. Gamsakhurdia 25.
BATUMI CATHOLIC CHURCH OF HOLY SPIRIT
The church was built in the late 90’s and consecrated in 2000 by Guiseppe Pasotto, the Ordinary of Apostolic administration of Caucasus. The Church is really impressive, has a modern design and is located not far from the port. Arriving in Batumi from Tbilisi you’ll notice it on the left side of the road.
Address: 54, Gogebashvili Street.