6 MAY PARK
In the 1881 the construction of the first public garden began in Batumi under the supervision of a Prussian gardener Ressler. The arrangement of the garden was continued by a French gardener D’Alphonse.
In 1888, the Russian emperor Alexander III visited Batumi. Fascinated by the garden, he planted several trees in the park together with his family members. In honor of his contributions, the park was named “Alexander’s Garden”. However, the name of the park was changed many times afterwards.
Today the park is called “6 May Park”. The park has several educational and recreational offerings: a dolphinarium, an aquarium and a zoological corner, as well as numerous children’s attractions.
The park also has a unique sundial. Visitors can enjoy the park’s decorative stone fountain. High season many events take pleace periodically – exibitions, concerts, movie shows. The park is laid around the Nuri Lake where one can go boating or fishing.
Located within 6 May Park, the Batumi Dolphinarium is one of the most-visited tourist attractions in Batumi. The first dolphinarium was open in Batumi in 1975. Its facilities were upgraded in 2011. New pools, water filtration and temperature systems were installed.
The amphitheatre of the dolphinarium consists of 4 sectors and can hold 703 spectators. The dolphin show is an educational performance as well as an opportunity to show off the dolphins love of play. The show is performed in three languages (Georgian, English and Russian) and equally fascinates spectators of all ages. During summer, due to high demand the dolphin show is conducted three times a day at 14:00, 17:00 and 21:00.
The Dolphinarium is home to 8 Bottlenose Dolphins (called Zoro, Maya, Monica, Tsitsi, Flipper, Marco, and the little ones – Nini and Kviria) and several California Sea Lions. In june 2016 Batumi dolphinarium celebrated three new baby dolphine birth at once. newborn dolphin calfs have not been named yet, as their mothers do not allow come close to babies to determine their sex.
Visitors also have an opportunity to swim with the dolphins. The ticket price is 20GEL for front lines and 15 for upper ones. 15 minute swimming with dolpins costs for adults 150GEL and for children -100GEL.
Dolphinarium is very close to our Batumi apartment.
Tel.: (+995): 0 422 22 17 30
Mob.: (+995): 595 33 58 61
THE BATUMI BOTANICAL GARDEN
Batumi Botanical Garden covers about 108 hectare area of land 9 km north of the city of Batumi. Located at the place called Mtsvane Kontskhi (“The Green Cape”) on the Black Sea shore, it is one of the largest botanical gardens.
The Design and construction of Batumi Botanical Garden was started by the Russian botanist Andrey Krasnov in the 1880s and officially was opened on November 3, 1912. Krasnov was aided by two skilled gardeners and decorators – the French D’Alphonse and the Georgian Yason Gordeziani. After his death in 1914 Krasnov was interred at the garden which still houses his grave and statue.
Under the Soviet Union, the garden was further expanded and developed, since 1925, into a principal institution for the study of Caucasian maritime subtropical cultures.
Currently, the garden consists of nine floristic sectors, those of Caucasian humid subtropics, East Asia, New Zealand, South America, the Himalayas, Mexico, Australia, and of the Mediterranean. The garden collection comprises 2037 taxonomic units of ligneous plants, including 104 of Caucasian origin.
Here you can see date palms, bamboo, cacti, magnolia and cypresses well as take amazing panoramas and have a good rest.
To get there take minibus (Marshrutka) 31. the main route of which goes on Parnavaz-Mepe street.
Open hours: 9:00am – 7:00pm
Entrance fee: 8 GEL
Guided excursion: 20-30GEL
Overnight Camping fee: 15GEL
TeL; +995 422 270033
The main historical monument of Adjara. The fortress is located 12 km from Batumi towards the Georgian-Turkish border at the mouth of the Chorokhi river.
The fortress was built by the Romans in the 1st century. In the 2nd century AD it was a well-fortified Roman city within Colchis. The town was also known for its theatre and hippodrome.
Later it was one of the stronghold of the Byzantine (6-7 AD) and Ottomans (16AD).
There exists a legend that the name of Apsaros originates from the ancient Greek myth about Argonauts. According to the legend this was the place where Apsyrtus, King Aet’s son killed by Jason, was buried.
The grave of Saint Matthias, one of the twelve apostles, is believed to be inside the Gonio fortress. However, this is unverifiable as the Georgian government currently prohibits digging near the supposed gravesite.
Other archaeological excavations are however taking place on the grounds of the fortress, focusing on Roman layers.
Nowadays the Gonio-Apsaros Fortress is a monument of Roman period of the Adjarian history. The Fortress layout and architecture have left almost unchanged over all centuries of its existence. In spite of the fact that a mosque was built opposite to the Saint Mathew’s tomb, and the existed Roman therms were rebuilt into the oriental bath-houses, the general architecture of the Fortress remained the same as it was two thousand years ago under the Romans.
The total wall length amounts to 900 m and the height is 5 m. Initially, twenty two 7m-high towers were built along the Fortress perimeter, but some of them were destroyed, and today the Fortress has 18 towers only. Among existing 4 entries, currently only the western entry that survived.
The history of the Gonio Fortress still is fraught with mysteries. There, the archaeological excavation are still underway, and the scientists make a lot of new discoveries, such as a buried treasure dating back to the (V AD), revealed near the southern wall in 1974. Based on the important historical and cultural significance of the Gonio Fortress, it is declared as Reserve Museum in 1994.
To get to the Gonio fortress take bus 16 or any minivan to the direction of Gonio or Sarpi.
Open hours: 10:00am-18:00pm
Entrance fee: 3GEL
Guided excursion: 15GEL
“ARGO” CABLE CAR
That’s a complex situated on Anuria mountain, at an attitude of 250m above sea level. It ofers a gorgeous panorama of Batumi and surroundings, the Caucasus montains and the Black Sea. The main element of the complex is the cable car connecting the center of Batumi with Anuria Mountain. The trip to mountain will take 10 minutes.
The Argo complex comprises restaurants, cafes, retail shops, open air halls, podium and roof terraces as well.
Working hours: 11:00-00:30